Tuesday 30 December 2014

Grand Theft Assassin

Over the past few years I have been slowly slogging my way through the Assassin's Creed series. I do enjoy them but I still think slog is the correct term to use as it feels like Ubisoft release the games faster than I can play them. I am coming to the end of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, which took a bit of time to grow on me. The game being set in Renaissance Italy made it feel like I was playing an extended coda of Assassin's Creed II rather than a fresh new game.

The sacrifice of new locations (and an exciting story) for an enhanced and larger version of upgrading Rome (like with Monteriggioni in Assassin's Creed II) is just about worth it. Although I can't help shake the feeling the developers were playing a shedload of Grand Theft Auto whilst making this.

I promised myself I wasn't going to get completionist with Brotherhood, but right now I am close to upgrading all the Rome has to offer. It is compelling and addictive, even if the style and setting feels to have outstayed its welcome.

I don't think I'll start Assassin's Creed: Revelations for some time, they'll probably be ten more games to finish by the time I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment