Tuesday 24 February 2015

Mass Effecting

It was a little daunting starting Mass Effect, but considering how big the game is I finished it rapidly. This goes to show how compelling and playable Bioware have made this wonderful game. It makes me regret giving up on their Knights of the Old Republic when I tried to play it many years ago.

The whole world is fantastically realised, it feels like a living and breathing Universe. I was worried that the non-linear open-ended elements would affect the story, but the story is so epic and well integrated this never becomes a problem.

Despite its age the first Mass Effect holds up pretty well, with only the really clunky save system being the one thing that is very out of place here. Well maybe some of the driving around in the Mako on a planet sections too.

Some of the impossible choices you had to make felt very Telltale Games, and I mean that in a good way. I can't help feeling that some of the ones I made will come back to bite me in the ass in one of the sequels.

I just had a lot of enjoyment running around bases armed with my shotgun and my preferred team by my side, Wrex and Ashley, even though a lot of the mission were similar it never felt repetitive. Disarming space cults and culling space gangsters has never been so fun.

I really enjoyed Mass Effect and I can't wait to get around to the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment